World War II (1941 – 1945)
Upon the end of April war and signing capitulation on April 17, 1941, the Ministry of Interior of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia continued to act within the immigration government.
Intelligence service of the refugee government continued its work within missions in allied and neutral states which offered hospitability. The work was primarily oriented towards maintaining relations with motherland and providing financial help to the Movement of Draža Mihajlović, as well as conducting intelligence activities directed to the mission of the self-proclaimed Independent State of Croatia in Madrid.
One of the founders of intelligence service of the immigration government was Vladeta Milićević who acted as Minister of Interior from 1943 to 1944. After the war he continued performing intelligence tasks for King Petar II Karađorđević and returned to country in 1966.
From the very beginning of World War II and establishment of partisan movement, People's Liberation Boards were set up as governing bodies which included bodies in charge of order and security in certain territories. At the consultations in Stolice near Krupanj on September 26, 1941, first intelligence and counter-intelligence services were established and their organisational structure and mutual relationship was determined, while in late October 1941 were appointed first intelligence (information) officers in partisan headquarters.
In mid-September 1943 in Jajce, the Office for Protection of People was established within the Supreme Headquarters of the People's Liberation Army of Yugoslavia and Yugoslav partisan units with task to unit intelligence and counter-intelligence work and set up an intelligence service (advanced trainings were organised, as well).
On May 13, 1944, the office developed into the Section for Protection of People (OZN) within the Agency for People's Protection of the National Committee for Liberation of Yugoslavia.
The Belgrade agreement signed by Josip Broz Tito and President of Royal Government Ivan Šubašić on November 1, 1944 acknowledged international and legal continuity of Yugoslavia. By a decree of royal regents and upon the proposal of AVNOJ Presidency a new joint government – the Interim Government of Democratic Federative Yugoslavia – was established on March 7, 1945.